Emerging ChoreographersHow to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Emerging Choreographer Project!
Springboard Danse Montréal 2022 will take place June 5 – 25, 2022.
Applications for our 2022 edition are now closed.
The notification of acceptance is January 24, 2022.
In compliance with the regulations set in place by our participating studio partners, Springboard will require proof of full vaccination for all participating artists and dancers. Furthermore, masks / face coverings will be mandatory at all times during in-person auditions and at the project in Montréal. It is our priority for you, your colleagues and participating artists to feel comfortable and safe.
Each year our selection panel is comprised of 5 highly-respected artists from diverse experiences, who identify widely across gender, race, and sexual orientation. Each panellist looks at every application. After reviewing the submissions individually, the panel convenes to methodically discuss and assess the work of each choreographer one-by-one. The evaluation process focuses on the quality and presentation of the artists’ work and their choreographic history, with a disassociation to their age, image and orientation in an effort to keep the selection process nonpartisan.
WHAT MAKES A CHOREOGRAPHER A GOOD FIT FOR SPRINGBOARD?
The panel looks carefully at the artist’s resume, artistic statement, artistic proposal, and the supporting video materials. The panel takes into consideration the artist’s experience working with large groups, the suitability of the proposed work for Springboard’s performance venue, and the compatibility of the work with our dancers’ interests and the overall the curation of the project.
THE PERKS OF BEING AN EMERGING CHOREOGRAPHER
- 14+ dancers from diverse backgrounds in your cast
- 25 hours of rehearsal time with your cast
- Access to studio space in the morning during the project (upon request)
- Opportunity to create either:
- 5-minute Proscenium work, or
- 20-minute Installation work
- Present your work at the final showing alongside 9 Principal companies from Canada, Germany, Israël, Norway, United States and the UK.
- 200+ invited guests at the final showing, including Presenters, Agents, Managers & Artistic Directors representing companies from Canada, the United States & countries from overseas
- Free downloadable link to the video of the final showing